Sunday, July 8, 2012

TELL THE STORY



As we begin a new week after celebrating the Fourth of July or, as we elder folks prefer to call it, Independence Day. Let us continue to thank God for the blessings he has bestowed upon us and upon the United States of America. Why, if you to listen to some folks today, you would think it was the worst country in the world, when in fact, that is just not so!

As I watched the fireworks last week, a wonderful feeling of patriotism flowed over me. I love this country and the freedom it affords us all. I believe it is a good thing that freedom and liberty has been expanded to more and more people, regardless of religion, race, or lifestyle. To me, that gives God more room to reveal himself to everyone. How do you see it? Welcome everyone to your 24/7, week-long online church service. Everyone and we do mean everyone is welcome in this place.

This week, I desire to encourage you to tell others your story of what the Lord has done for you. This can be done verbally or by action. In other words, just let God show through you, folks. I mentioned last week that you are entering a new season. A season of being the ambassador of Christ that you are called to be. Church, there is a constant theme throughout the Bible, both the old and New Testament. That theme being God's desire to reconcile us to himself. Jesus came to this earth for that very reason. The true story is this. John 3:16, 17:

"16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."

My goodness, such a simple but so very powerful true story. As believers, we should know this story personally, shouldn't we. God, through the saving grace of his son Jesus has given each of us a personal story to share with others. One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Corinthians 5:20. Let's read it together:

"20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God."

Do you remember the ambassadors of Christ that reached out to you? Just regular folks like Mike "Hippie" Hamilton that shared the Gospel with me when I didn't want to hear it. I'll never forget Lou Ball taking my Scientology book and closing it with a vengeance and declaring she didn't care what was in that book. If it didn't agree with the Word of God, it was a lie. Words that I did not want to hear at the time. But you see church, that's what ambassadors do, isn't it? They tell others things that they may not want to hear because truth is truth.

The ambassadors of the United States oftentimes have to tell countries things they do not want to hear. Why would that be? Just to make them mad? No, my friends! To give them understanding and to reconcile them to the U.S.A. God's ambassadors do the same thing, only we reconcile people to God, don't we?

Our mission should be the same as Jesus. Not to condemn the world but to save it. There is only one way to be saved, folks. That is through the shed blood of Jesus Christ. The blood that he shed on the cross just for you. So, tell the story!! It is a good story to be told, isn't it.

You know folks, churches have gotten so religious and sophisticated that in many cases it has forgotten how to tell the good and simple true story of salvation. The scripture in Micah 7:18-19 for instance rarely do you hear these questions and answers in the church anymore. But it in fact is a large part of this truth we preach and give out freely. Micah 7:18-19 state this:

"18 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth by the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in mercy. 19 He will turn again, he will have compassion upon us; he will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea."

What is Micah doing here, folks? He is asking questions in order to answer them and to share the answer with us. Sometimes, it is good to talk to ourselves to remind ourselves of God's goodness and mercy. Micah asks himself, "who is a God like unto you" talking about our heavenly Father. The answer is, a God who pardons and forgives. He may have a righteous anger but it is quick to cool. And he delights in giving us mercy. What a great God we serve!

Mercy and forgiveness is becoming harder and harder to come by from men and women, isn't it? Let's continue: in verse 18 he says he will turn again. Well, what doe that mean? Very simply, it means this: God has had compassion on us before, probably many times, and he is still willing to do so again. The part I like is this: All your sins will be cast into the sea and guess what, church? God will never bring them up against you again....never!

That, my friends, is what God has done for us through and by his son, Jesus Christ. Now, that, is a good story to tell! Over the course of the past three years, I have told you many true stories about myself. What God has done for me and many times, even why and how he did them. These stories were never meant to magnify or lift myself up. Truthfully, I told them to let you know what God has done for me, he will do for you.

Each of us, as believers, has our own stories to tell. You do not need to be a preacher or reverend to tell folks what God has done for you. So guess what, folks? It's testimony time! we only have three more weeks before we end the online church services. How about leaving a comment and sharing with all of us what God has done for you? I believe my testimony lines up with Psalms 40:2-5. It says, talking about God:

"2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. 3 And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD. 4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies."

In other words, Jesus Christ saved my soul. He brought me out of the very heavy weight of sin. He gave me a new song, a song of praise. I now trust in God and I will not return to the evil ways of the world. That is my story and it can also be yours!

God Bless You,

Brother Bob

P.S. We want to remind you, we are presenting a music video by Tommy Bates entitled, "I Went To Pray." Please watch it. We know you will enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment