Sunday, June 17, 2012

A FATHER'S DAY MESSAGE (Repost from June 20, 2010)

Please note: This is our annual Father's Day message. This is a reposted message (both, the written and audio) from June 20, 2010. Be sure to read and listen to it. You will enjoy it!







Today is celebrated as “Fathers' Day.” We certainly welcome all Dads to this week's 24/7, week long, online church service. I am sure you know by now, everyone is welcome in this place. Early in the Bible in Exodus 20:12, God gave us the Ten Commandments, which to my knowledge have not been repealed or revoked by God. I know there are some who wish or believe the Ten Commandments are not valid for today. After all, shouldn't we live life as we desire? Does that not sound like the mantra for today's living? Let's read the fifth commandment of God in Exodus 20:12:


“Honor thy father and thy mother: That thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.”
Notice that our heavenly father gives you the commandment and then gives you the benefits of following his proclamation. God says honor your father and mother so you may live long on the earth. How many here desire to live a long and fruitful life? A long life full of joy, peace, mercy and grace? By honoring your father and mother, you are honoring God.

Another scripture also points out the benefits of honoring your parents. Please turn with me to Ephesians 6:1-3:


“Children obey your parents in the Lord; for this is right. Honor thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; that it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.”
Are you beginning to see the complete picture? God desires for you to honor and obey your parents and he will reward you with long life. I know some of you are thinking: “The way my Dad treated me, it is hard if not impossible to honor him.” I'm going to touch on that later in the message, so just hold that thought for a moment.

One of the greatest blessings of my life is being the father of five wonderful children. They are all grown up now, but sometimes I still see them as ten-years-old or so. If I look back on one of the best accomplishments of my life, it would be that my children, now adults, still love us (their parents), almost as much as we love them. No father or mother could ask for more. Do we agree with them on everything? Absolutely not!! Do we have opinions about life and living that are different than theirs? Many times over the years, definitely yes. Do we respect them? You bet!!

The instruction book of life (the Bible) gave me many tips and instructions on how to be a loving and caring father. One of those instructions is found in Ephesians 6:4:


“And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: But bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.”
Let's dissect this scripture a little. What is God saying to us fathers here? I believe God is saying – Fathers raise your children in love and not hate or fear. Let them express their observations of life and their feelings about such things. Listen to them. Then, give Godly advice in a way that they can see the wisdom of your words and know that if you disagree with their conclusions about life, you still love and respect them. Is that easy to do? Not always. But, it is the right thing to do. The second part of this scripture tells us: Dads, we have a responsibility to bring our children up in the knowledge and ways of God according to his Word. It is never too early to give your children a biblical foundation regarding Jesus Christ. Tell them about Jesus as early in their young lives as you can. It will pay off in the long run.

I guess one of my biggest regrets in life, is that I didn't give my life to the Lord until my first two children were in their teens. Their formative years saw a Dad that drank too much and was away from home too much; a Dad that loved them, but wasn't always reliable. I always feel repentant about that, But thank God, he saved me and delivered me from the things destructive in my life. The salvation was instant, the recovery a process.

Today I would rather have my children see me as a man that loves God and his ways, rather than a man who loved the ways of the world. I look around me today and I see young fathers making the same mistakes I did and it breaks my heart. Young Dads, listen to me!! Your wife and children are the most important things in your life. Not your job, not another woman, not the respect of other men. The alcohol, drugs and addiction to your job will kill you. I promise if you keep on, you will lose everything near and dear to you.

This year when you receive your Fathers' Day card, pay attention Dads. Your family is calling to you. Get right with God. Love God and your family with all of your heart. The payoff to that will be great for you. I am praying for you, Dads. I know you can do it. God loved you so much he blessed you with your wife and children. Take care of them and love them above everything else on the earth. Stop whatever you are doing right now. Go look at your family, aren't they something?

Fathers' Day is celebrated all over this country. Many good fathers will be honored. Yet for many, it is not a celebration at all. Their dads abandoned them. Some even abused their children. Other fathers by example have led their children away from God. I would say these fathers may never know the joy they could have had by serving God and raising their families with love.

Children, I am asking you to forgive your wayward dads, not for them but for yourselves. Let the bitterness and the hurt go. You will live life much freer if you do that. Easy to do? No!! But your life will be so much better. Your heavenly Father, who always loves you, will be honored.

My friends, let me conclude with this: God sent Jesus to the earth to die for you and your sins. He was the perfect sacrifice accepted by God. If you will accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you will no longer be just a creation, but you will be an adopted child of our heavenly Father. God is a father without flaws; a father who will always love you no matter what. He is the Father you have always dreamed about. Paul talks about this in Romans 8:14-16:


“For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.”

Today is Fathers' Day. Be sure and say “Happy Fathers' Day” to your Dad. Oh, by the way, if you are saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, say “Happy Fathers' Day” to your heavenly Father also. He will enjoy that.

God Bless You,
Bro. Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment