Sunday, March 20, 2011

TAKE IT TO HEART, MY FRIENDS





You know, so many times in the last twenty months we have talked about the Bible being the instruction book of life, God’s Word to us. This week let’s explore what the Bible has to say about God and his son Jesus and how they really relate to us. Welcome everyone to your 24/7, week long, online church service. Always remember everyone is welcome in this place.

As believers we must first know that it is very important for us to renew our minds to the Word of God. To be truthful, from birth to this present time, we are taught the ways of the world. Unfortunately, the bigger part of that teaching does not line up with God’s ways or his instructions to us for victorious living on this earth. Well, how important is this? Please turn with me to Romans 12:2 and let’s explore the teaching of God and his son Jesus through his Word right now. Romans 12:2 states:

“And be not conformed to this world: But be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.”
Our heavenly Father is clearly telling us to not be conformed to this world. So, what in the world does that mean? My friends, look around you. This world system does all it can to refute God and his ways. The lifestyle of the world is party till you drop. Nothing is really out of bounds anymore. Holiness is mocked. The Ten Commandments, which are God’s basic guidelines, are trampled on and ignored with glee. The Bible teaches us that the only way to God is through his son Jesus, yet there are thousands of religions that do not even teach that basic doctrine. Let’s look at Philippians 2:5-11. What does the Bible say about Jesus and our relationship to him? This can be part of the renewing of your mind we talked about earlier. Philippians 2:5-11 states:

“Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth: And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
Oh my friends, what teaching we have just read together! God is giving us the recipe for victorious living here. First, let your mind be renewed so you will line up with God’s thinking and ways rather than the ways of the world. This scripture points out clearly that Jesus is our example for living.

Before coming to this earth to redeem us from a life of sin and death, Jesus was in heaven. Not in the form of man, but was in the form of God. Yet, seeing the plight of man, he set aside all the benefits of his deity to take on a new form, that of man. He laid aside his expression of deity, but he never lost possession of that deity. Therefore, Jesus was fully man and yet also fully God. Consider this church. Jesus gave up all of the beauty and benefits of heaven to humble himself and become obedient to God’s plan for salvation, even unto death. I want you to get this. Jesus did all of this for you and for me. Did we deserve it? I think not. What do you think?

Let me depart from the direction we were going in for a moment. Church, I want to speak to you from my heart right now. The reason I put this church online is because I know God wills it. When I received Jesus into my life, my whole world changed. All the reasons I had given for not believing in or following God showed up clearly as phony excuses. I used to tell people I was independent. I would live my life anyway that I wanted to. My attitude was no one, including friends, parents, or even if there was a God, could direct my life. I would live as I chose to live. Unfortunately that included alcohol, drugs and all forms of immorality. Now, as I look back, am I proud of this lifestyle? Absolutely not. I’m just stating the facts as they were.

Many times God put people in my life to lead me to him, but to no avail. What did my independent and free lifestyle bring me? It brought divorce, depression, job losses, car accidents and a path that was leading me to an early death. The reason I’m telling you this is that many of you have used the same phony excuses to justify your way of living and believing. Let’s face it folks, there are many excuses for not following God out there. Let’s look at some of them. Let’s start with “I’m young and have a lot of living to do.” Or, “Why would a just God allow wars and such poverty and unfairness to abound in this life?” “We’re all going to die anyway, might as well live it up.” “Hey, I’m educated. I need facts, not faith in an unseen God.” “I’m just made this way.” “I’m a born loser.”

All right, listen to me. I don’t know what kind of lunch meat you like, but personally I love bologna, and that my friends is what all those excuses are, just plain bologna. Some more excuses: “I’m a logical thinker. I only believe what science teaches.” “I see people who call themselves Christians living like the devil.” More excuses, more bologna! My friends, all of the above is worldly and devilish thinking that will lead you away from God. That is the reason God says to you – renew your mind. Align yourself with God and his son Jesus. Let him teach you through his Word how to overcome every obstacle of life.

I thank God for a praying Mom and for a genuine hippy (Mike Hamilton) Mike received Jesus into his life and heart and the change was so drastic that it caught my attention. My problem though, was that Hippy would not let me alone. You see, he took his job as an ambassador for Christ to heart. Let me shorten this story up. In 1976 God got through to me. God has a way of revealing himself to you in a way that forces a choice, doesn’t he? Well, I asked Jesus to come into my heart. I repented of my sin and I confessed Jesus as Lord of my life. Immediately I sensed a spiritual change in my life. People that I felt bitterness and even hatred for, I now felt a spiritual love for them. I was delivered from the spirits of alcoholism and drugs. God removed depression from my mind and gave me an optimistic view of my chances of succeeding in life. I suddenly felt I could be the husband, father, friend and person I wanted to be. But most of all, I knew I was off the broad path of destruction and on the narrow path of victory and eternal life.

Now, did all these negative things change instantly? No, they didn’t. However, as time went on and as I read the Word of God, as I prayed and went to church, the renewing of my mind began to take place. Today my life is totally changed. No doubt I am still human and still see flaws in myself. But guess what? I’m still reading the Bible, I am still praying to God daily, and I am still striving to be like Jesus in every way. The point: This could be you!! My heart’s desire is to share Jesus Christ with you. To plant the seed of eternal life in your heart. To see God change your life as he has mine.

Remember what the scripture in Philippians said – Jesus is the name above all names. That includes all sicknesses you can name, all addictions that you can name. It includes the name of every negative feeling you may have. That is what I desire for you, that you be victorious over all these things in your life. Only through Jesus Christ and what he did for you on the cross is that possible. How do I know that? I know this only by the renewing of my mind to the Word of God.

Let me end this message with a scripture just for you. Psalms 119:33-35:

“Teach me, O Lord, the way of thy statues; and I shall keep it unto the end. Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart. Make me to go in the path of thy commandments; for therein do I delight.”
As I stated above, this scripture is just for you. Take it to heart, my friends.

God Bless You,
Bro. Bob

A music video below designed to bless you. Email me and let me know if you enjoy it! If you do, we may present other videos of this type in future weeks.




No comments:

Post a Comment