Sunday, April 10, 2011

THE LORD’S PRAYER (Part 2 Conclusion)





This series on the Lord’s Prayer is designed to show you how much Jesus cares for you. It is clear by reading the book of John, Chapter 17, that we were the number one priority on the mind of Jesus before he came to the earth. We were foremost on his mind while here on the earth and we are still his highest priority now that he is back in heaven with his Father. This prayer in John 17 is for you and me!! Jesus loves us that much. Welcome everyone to your 24/7, week long, online church service. Always remember everyone is welcome in this place.

Now, before we continue our journey through John 17, I want us to take a closer look at last week’s scripture of the week. I trust you have read it at least once during the past week. You have, haven’t you? Hebrews 12:2 tells us what Jesus was talking about in John 17. So let’s read it together. Hebrews 12:2 states:

“Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”
Ladies and gentlemen, let’s ask the question – what possible joy could Jesus have possibly been looking at while enduring the pain and the shame of the cross? It is an important question that John 17 gives the answer to. As you read and understand the 17th chapter of John you will see the joy that was set before Jesus was salvation from sin and the gift of life eternal for you and me. Remember last week we referred you to John 17:3, where Jesus said in prayer to God:

“And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.”
The joy Jesus saw was that we would know God and him in a personal and family way. Not in an organized religious way, but once again, in a very personal and family way. Isn’t Jesus something special to behold?

Last week we brought out that Jesus was praying and telling his Father in heaven that his work here on earth was finished. He was talking about his perfect sacrifice of dying and shedding his blood on that cross for you and me. Let’s get something straight here. You know how when we welcome you to our online service we always say everyone is welcome or no one is excluded in this place? Well, that is exactly what I mean when I use the words you and me. I’m not just talking to believers here. I am talking to you no matter what your spiritual condition is. Jesus died and arose from the dead for us all. He made a way for each of us to know the Father and himself, in a saving way. I admit in John 17 Jesus talks with God about us who have received Jesus in their hearts. He asked God to hold onto us, to help us even though Jesus was to return to heaven to his former glory and to his seat at the right hand of God.

As I said earlier, we were on Jesus’ heart and mind before he came to this earth, while here and even today as we speak. Okay. Let’s pick up where we left off last week. John 17:11-13. Remember this is Jesus praying to his Father in heaven. He is now talking about those who have chosen to believe on him. In John 17:11-13 Jesus says:

“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee, Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one as we are. While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name; those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.”
Jesus is basically pleading his case for us that choose to believe in him. He is saying “Father you have given them to me. I have kept them while being here in the world. But now, I’m leaving here.” Jesus said he wants us to share in the joy he has for us. What an example Jesus is for us. He is showing us here to be like him, to put others first. Show them the love and joy you have for Christ. Share it with them and invite them to follow Jesus and share the joy you have in him. Jesus continues praying in John 17:14-17. Really, look at this, my friends. Jesus states:

“I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them through thy truth; thy word is truth.”
What an advocate we have in our Lord Jesus Christ. He clearly states he has given us the Word of God, in person while on the earth and through the Bible today. Jesus says he wants us to be fully alive on the earth. He does not want us to die an early death due to evil or sin. We are protected from both by our faith in Jesus and his Word, which is the Bible. Jesus proclaims that by our faith in him, we are now born into the kingdom of heaven as he is. The world does not understand where we come from. Most think we are peculiar. Truthfully, when we really live for God, many including friends and family will not want much to do with us.

Jesus is telling us here “Don’t be surprised that people hate you because of your love and living for Jesus.” Yet, Jesus teaches us to love those that hate us. As you read further in this Chapter 17, you will see Jesus repeat things said earlier. He says his desire is that we be one with him and his father as they are one with each other. That is how much God and his son Jesus loves us. Drop down to John 17:24-26. Jesus now tells the Father what he wills for us. My friends. If this doesn’t draw you closer to Jesus, I am without further words for you. Okay, John 17:24-26. Let’s read it together, Jesus is speaking:

“Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: For thou lovest me before the foundation of the world. O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee; but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. And, I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it; that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.”
Oh church, can you now see why I consider this to be the Lord’s Prayer? Jesus ends his prayer by telling his Father that his heart’s desire is that God loves us as he loves Jesus and that Jesus loves us so much, he desires us to be with him and he desires to dwell within us. This, my friends, is what salvation is really all about. The heart’s desire of God is for us to love him as he loves us. He has given us a way to have eternal life with him and to be saved from the destruction and eternal death that sin offers us.

This is your invitation to receive Jesus into your heart. All that Jesus prayed in John Chapter 17 is just for you. Now I know beyond the shadow of any doubt, that this message has touched hearts. I am available to lead you to Jesus. E-mail me today at BrotherBob@TheSpiritofWisdom.org. I will get right back with you. Backslider, you once knew all this didn’t you? Well, it’s still there for you. I will expect to hear from you this week also.

So, what is the Lord’s Prayer? Jesus praying to the Father for us. What more could one ask for?

God Bless You,
Bro. Bob

2 comments:

  1. Thanks u brother bob this help me out this week god bless u brother bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps friend in security

    ReplyDelete