Sunday, October 17, 2010

WILL YOU ENTER IN?





I sincerely hope you enjoyed last week's message regarding staying on the right road. There are so many enticements and temptations to lead you off the right road into paths of life that will lead you away from God. You cannot take a chance on these paths, my friends. They will lead you to destruction and eternal death. I love you and I do not write or say these words lightly. There is a narrow way to eternal life with God and a very broad way that only leads to destruction. I am urging you to stay in the middle of the narrow way.

I am so happy to welcome you to your 24/7, week long, online church service. As always, everyone is welcome in this place. Jesus talks about this narrow way in Matthew 7:13-14. He is talking to all of us so let's read it together:

“Enter ye in at the straight gate: For wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because straight is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.”
We mentioned last week there are many roads or ways to take. So many religions, philosophies, and ways of men. All stating they are the way to enjoyment, victory, prosperity, and even eternal life. And they all sound so good. But Jesus is being clear here, my friends. He is saying “Enter in at the straight gate.” Jesus is talking about himself here. All these other ways are the broad way that lead to destruction. I had rather be on the narrow road leading to eternal life, how about you? Jesus has more to say on this subject. Turn with me to the 10th chapter of the book of John. Jesus tells us in this chapter who the door to eternal life with God really is.

Let me add this before we look at the book of John. Church, I have been on both ways. Many years ago, I drove fast and hard on the broad road to destruction. I took the paths of alcohol, drugs, immorality and all the world had to offer me. Before I saw the light and got off that broad path of destruction, I lost everything that was precious to me. I lost a wife to the tragedy of divorce, lost the everyday of living with my children, lost jobs, money and all my self respect. I was close to death physically and spiritually. But then, God revealed himself to me again. Thanks to many believers and a praying mother, and the faithful believers who agreed with her in prayer for me, I saw through Jesus another way. Jesus showed me I could get off that broad way and use himself as the door to the narrow way and life eternal with him. That was many years ago, but I made the decision to receive Jesus as my Lord and Savior; to walk with him on that narrow way. I fell many times, but the hand of Jesus was always in my hand and though I did fall, he would always lift me up and set me back on course.

Now today, I am preaching the Word of God to you. I will be married forty years in April to my terrific wife, Vicki. I have the love and respect of my children. I am alcohol and drug free and I am saved and filled with the Spirit of God. Why am I saying this? To brag or exalt myself? No my friends, I am saying this to encourage you. God did this for me and if you will get off the broad way, receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior, he will do the same for you. Now, back to John 10:1. Jesus uses the example of how a shepherd is to his sheep and how sheep relate to their shepherd. The point being, Jesus is the good shepherd and we (his followers and disciples) are his sheep to protect. Jesus says in John 10:1:

“Verily, verily I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.”
Jesus is proclaiming here that there is a door, and in fact, only one door. That is himself. Beginning in John 10:4-5, Jesus makes this more clear. Let's read it together:

“And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them and the sheep follow him: For they know his voice. And a a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: For they know not the voice of strangers.”
Jesus points out here that he is owner as well as shepherd of the sheep. So therefore, he has a double love for us. Because we now know the voice of Jesus, we will not be fooled into getting off the right road and following bad detours and dead ends. Jesus, by his presence and voice, will help keep us on the right road.

Remember I said earlier that in John chapter 10, Jesus would show us who the door to eternal life is? Look at John 10:7-11. This whole message has been leading to this. As you read these scriptures, really think about what they are saying.

“Then said Jesus unto them again, verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: But the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: By me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out and find pasture. The thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly. I am the good shepherd: The good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.”
All right now. How much more clear can it get? Jesus himself just told us. He is the door to salvation and only him. Everything that came before him in our lives were robbers and thieves. In other words, all the other pathways. The drugs, the alcohol, all other religions that do not proclaim him as the only son of God and Lord and savior, are paths to destruction. All man made philosophies and psychologies, same result. Jesus said to enter through him (the door) and you will be saved. Once again, the only entrance to God is through his Son, Jesus Christ.

Jesus said the shepherd gives his life for the sheep. Exactly what Jesus did for you and for me. He is the door. Will you enter in? Now you know why last week's message was so important. There is a narrow way that leads to eternal life and there be few that find it. We have shown you the way that leads to the door. That door is Jesus Christ and he is waiting for you to enter in. What are you going to do, my friends?

God Bless You,
Bro. Bob

1 comment:

  1. RoseMarie Baker LeleauxOctober 18, 2010 at 12:48 AM

    I cannot express how proud I am to be your sister. You bring such honor to our parents. With God shining through you and directing your path, you are a fine man and an excellent role model. God has blessed you with a beautiful family and I am sure he is well pleased with your stewardship in that department as well. Preach on, Brother Bob! You are really good at this! I love you very much!
    Grace and Peace,
    Your Sister Rose

    ReplyDelete